Connecting your myGov account with the ATO and Online Services for Business (previously the “ATO Business Portal”) makes your life much easier when it comes to managing your obligations as a business owner.
We always recommend that our clients set up the following online accounts. That way you and your tax agent can always access important information when you need it.
- How to set up a myGov account
- How to link your myGov account to the ATO
- How to set up a myGovID (this is different to a myGov account)
- How to connect myGov to the ATO online services for business portal
Setting Up myGov
The first thing you need to do (if you haven’t already) is set up a myGov account.
A myGov account is an excellent service to set up regardless if you’re a business owner or not.A myGov account lets you link to a range of Australian Government services including the ATO, Medicare, Centrelink, My Aged Care, My Health Record and the State Revenue Office.
How to set up a myGov account:
- Go to myGov and select Create a MyGov account and accept the terms and conditions.
- Enter your own unique Email address. You can’t use the same email for two myGov accounts. If you share an email address with someone, only one of you can use it to create a myGov account.
- Enter your mobile number.
- Create a password and secret questions for extra security.
- The myGov account is created and you will be emailed a copy of your myGov username.
Linking myGov to the ATO
Once you have a myGov account, you can connect it to a range of government services. As an accounting firm our primary focus is connecting your account to the ATO, but we do recommend you look at what else may be useful for you!
How to link myGov to the ATO:
- Sign in to your myGov account online.
- Select the Services tab on the myGov home page.
- Under the heading Link a service select Australian Taxation Office.
- Select Questions specific to you and answer two questions about information relevant to your tax record.
Once you’ve created your myGov account and linked to the ATO, you can easily access your ATO information from your myGov login, and use ATO online services.
Setting up myGovID
Your myGovID is an app you download to your smart device that proves who you are when signing in to myGov. It’s different to your regular myGov login that we set up above.
How to set up your myGovID:
- Download the myGovID app.
- Follow the prompts to enter your full name, date of birth and email address.
- Verify your two identity documents (you’ll need to have these ready). If you’re verifying your Medicare card, it will appear as an option after you verify your first document.
If you have trouble scanning your identity documents, you can select Edit to change the details or enter the details manually.
Connecting to Online Services for Business (previously the “Business Portal”)
Even if you use a registered tax or BAS agent, you can still use Online Services for Business. In fact, we highly encourage it!
You and your tax agent can use your Online Services for Business account to manage many tax and super matters on behalf of your business. Including:
- View, prepare, lodge and revise activity statements.
- View, prepare, lodge and revise your taxable payments annual report.
- Create payment plans – although we recommend you contact us about negotiating these on your behalf!
- View statements of account and find your payment reference number (PRN).
- Manage your accounts and update your tax registration details.
- View your Single Touch Payroll reports.
- Register for goods and services tax (GST) and pay as you go (PAYG) withholding.
- Access secure mail subjects.
- Access the Small Business Superannuation Clearing House.
- View and print tax returns and income tax history (if you are a sole trader, continue to use ATO Online)
How to link your myGovID to your business using RAM:
Before you begin, you need to have a myGovID already set up. So if you haven’t already, follow these steps to set that up.
You must be the principal authority to link your business ABN to your myGovID. A “principal authority” is the business owner or person responsible for the business. If there is a principal authority or authorisation administrator already acting on behalf of the business online, they can authorise you in RAM to act on behalf of the business.
RAM is a “Relationship Authorisation Manager” service that allows you to act on behalf of a business online.
If no one else is linked to the business, or if your entities are not registered for an ABN, follow the steps below.
To link five or fewer ABNs:
- Phone 1300 287 539 and select option 3.
- You’ll need to provide personal details to complete a proof of identity check – so have key identity documents ready!
- Checks will be completed to confirm your association to the business.
- Once confirmed, you’ll receive an email with an authorisation code and summary of the authorisation request.
- Log in to RAM using your myGovID to accept the request and complete the link.
Once linked, you’ll be authorised in RAM to act on behalf of the business.
Use can also use RAM to authorise others to act on behalf of your business. For example, if you have employees who need to access Online Services for Business. Before you authorise employees, check they have set up their own personal myGovID.
The process for authorising tax or BAS agents outside your business (such as your Aintree Group manager) is different. We will liaise with you and the ATO to access your records through their online services. So you don’t use RAM to authorise us, or any tax agent.
How login and use Online Services for Business:
You’re all set up and can now login to Online Services for Business using your myGovID!
When you log into Online Services for Business a four-digit code will appear at the login screen when you enter your email address. You need to enter this code in the myGovID app.
If you’re struggling with any of the steps above or if you’re just not sure whether or not you need to set up on of these accounts, get in touch with us and we’ll help you out!